Welcome to My Kitchen

A place for me to document my culinary successes and to share some good food.

Thursday

Ice Cream Cake

I love a good birthday cake, who doesn't. I'm not much of a cake eater but for the last 13 or so years I've ordered cakes that would be the centerpiece of the party. I think most everyone does these days and with all the boutique-like cake creators out there, there are so many new options and designs. The fancier they are, the higher priced they are.

This year, The Boy asked for an Ice Cream Cake for his 13th birthday. So, being the good mom that I am, I promptly went out to the local ice cream shop that typically has 31 flavors of the yummy stuff and ordered it for him. When we got it home, lit the candles, and cut into it, we were less than impressed. We were so disappointed that I'm not sure anyone ate any of it and we eventually threw it away without hesitation. Usually, the uneaten portion of our birthday cakes hang around a few days while we continue to enjoy it. Nope, not this one, it met it's doom fast....thank goodness the next day was trash pick up day.

I felt terrible that my boy did not get a good cake on his very special birthday so here's what I did. Thanks to one of my mom-friends for this suggestion....why hadn't I thought of it. When I told her about our sad cake situation, she said, "Why don't you just make one yourself. They're really easy." Eureka!! How original! So, she gave me a few suggestions and here's what I came up with.

Ingredients:
 - 1/2 quart chocolate ice cream
 - 1/2 quart vanilla ice cream
 - 1 large container of cool whip topping
 - hot fudge
 - caramel
 - 1 full bag of Oreo cookies (minus 1) (half the bag should be crumbled)
 - favorite sprinkles

What to do:
 - First I let the chocolate ice cream sit out a little to get soft, then I spread the full container into a 9" springform pan. I compressed it as much as I could so that it would be nice and firm. If the ice cream started to melt a little too much, I just popped it all in the freezer for a quick 5 minute frost.
 - Once the chocolate was in the pan, I drizzled both the caramel and hot fudge over it followed by sprinkling the crumbled Oreos on top. I pressed the Oreos into the ice cream so that they would be buried in the goodness. Then returned it to the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
 - About 15 minutes before the chocolate layer had finished setting, I took the vanilla out to soften, then piled it on top of the chocolate layer, pressing firmly.
 - Once the vanilla layer was done, I took the remaining cookies and placed them around the top like you would a pepperoni pizza. This is not what I would recommend, by the way. It may look pretty but cutting into it later was not so easy....but this is what I did for this cake.
 - Return the entire cake to the freezer for 30 more minutes.
 - I then removed the cake from the freezer and turned it over onto another pan. I quickly covered the pan with a warm towel to melt the ice cream just a bit so that I could remove the pan. This happens quickly so be ready. Then I turned the cake back right-side up onto the serving pan and hurried it back into the freezer where it would freeze for a few more hours.
 - After a few hours, we took it out, so proud of how it looked at this point, and iced the top and sides with the cool whip topping and the sprinkles. Then back into the freezer it went until serving time.

Note: My recommendation is to make this the day before your party. The ice cream really needs time to set or it melts very quickly while you are cutting it. We served it about 5 hours later and it created quite the mess. But the next day it was amazing!

Here's our pictures! The Boy was so happy and I was so proud of myself!! And I didn't spend a fortune or have to order it three weeks in advance! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

this is the chocolate layer topped with the fudge and caramel, before the crumble cookies were added

crumbled cookies added, re-freeze for 30 minutes and add the vanilla layer

the 2nd half of the Oreos (minus 1) ready for the topping

vanilla layer, Oreo layer, re-freeze for 30 minutes, start the whip topping icing, then re-freeze for 8-10 hours

we added sprinkles, candles, a birthday boy and a big wish
did you know that "happy birthday" is 13 candles? worked out great for his big 13th celebration

the finished product - a complete success in our honest opinions!


No comments:

Post a Comment