Welcome to My Kitchen

A place for me to document my culinary successes and to share some good food.

Wednesday

The Boiled Egg (part 3) (Breakfast on a Bagel)

It's the final day of our "peel the egg" test and I'm so excited. To be quite honest, I'm a little sick of eating boiled eggs; I usually only have a "2-boiled-egg-breakfast" once a week. I will say that through this little project of mine, I've discovered some really great ways to use boiled eggs in recipes, which will come in handy in a few weeks after we dye boiled eggs for Easter. Don't miss out on today's recipe (see below); it is simply scrumptious!

Today turned out a bit surprising. I thought we would have had a mirrored outcome to the last two days. But every single egg shed a bit of it's white, some more than others. The peeling process was terrible too, the shells came off in small shattered-like fashion and it took about three times as long to get through this process compared to the previous two days.  The peeling issues did not discriminate between a freshly hatched egg and a store bought egg or by the cooling method. Needless to say, it was a messy morning. On the flip-side, the cooking process was great, each egg was cooked perfectly.

Cooking Method: Place eggs in cool water and bring pot to a rolling boil. Remove pot of eggs from heat, cover and let stand for 10 minutes.

Cooling Methods: Same as yesterday - one of each type of egg cooled by ice-water bath, cool-water bath, or no bath. Cooling time was 10 minutes.

Results of the Peeling Process:
 - Ice-Water Bath: Most terrible to peel! What a surprise!
 - Cool-Water Bath: A little better to peel than the eggs in iced-water bath.
 - No Bath /Cool on Own: The least amount of egg white was lost with these two. This was even more surprising!



My Big Conclusion: Originally, I didn't document what my hypothesis was at the beginning of this project and I probably should have. I would most likely have sided on the process that I follow each time I boil eggs which is to cook the eggs in a rolling boil for 10 minutes followed by an ice-water bath. But I will admit that this doesn't always guarantee that the shells will fall right off. I will continue to use this method as it does seem to be the easiest. But I think next time I will prepare boiled eggs that are at room temperature and see if the other ways are even better. It just seems like the process will be much longer! The best part of this "eggsperiment" is knowing that there really is no "perfect" way to get easy to peel eggs. So continue to prepare them they way you like. And if you have never been successful in getting an easy-to-peel egg, at least you have some options.

Enjoy your eggs!!!



Breakfast on a Bagel

Ingredients:

2 hard boiled eggs
2 strips of cooked bacon
2 sprigs green onion
1 1/2 TBS ranch dressing
salt and pepper

What to do:
After peeling each egg, throw them into a food processor along with all other ingredients. Push the "on" button and mix thoroughly. When done, spread on a 1/2 a toasted bagel. Then, enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment