Welcome to My Kitchen

A place for me to document my culinary successes and to share some good food.

Thursday

Whistling Stuffed Jalapeno’s

I have been in LOVE with stuffed Jalapeno's since college. My first jalapeno love connection was found at Trudy's North Star in Austin Texas. If you are ever down that way, do drop in to try a few. And don't forget to order the Mexican Martini to quiet down the jalapeno heat! YUM....great, now I'm homesick.

I'm the only one in the house who likes these amazing green babies and so I thought I'd mix up a small batch. The peppers looked so big and delicious when I bought them - I thought I could only handle about 4 of them. I did let them sit a few days on my counter before making this my entree tonight and everyone knows that peppers tend to get hotter as they ripen. If you don't believe me, try it out or google-it. So, it would be an understatement for me to say that these babies were super spicy-hot.....I had to follow almost every bite with a big gulp of milk. Did you know that milk helps to calm the heat of the pepper? Check this out. Anyway, here's how I made them.

I cut a small cap lengthwise across the top of the pepper to create a jalapeno boat and then carved out the spines and seeds; then filled it with a mixture of the ingredients below, except the colby jack cheese.

Ingredients:
4 large Jalepenos
2 sprigs of green onion, minced
1 TBS fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp cumin
salt to taste
1 strip of cooked bacon, minced
1/4 cup cream cheese
4 small strips of colby jack cheese

Fill each jalapeno boat with the scrumptious mixture and sink the strips of cheese into each pepper. Place in an oven at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Remove carefully and move to a serving plate and then enjoy!

Now, since we are in Texas, we like almost everything with a little side of ranch and, therefore, I did indulge in this condiment this evening. But they are just as good all by themselves!

Where did I come up with the name of the recipe, you might ask....when I took them out of the oven, they were so steamy hot that the peppers were actually whistling. It was really pretty cool!

Try them out soon!!! Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment